Sunday, December 2, 2007

Chicken and Dumplings

4-5 chicken thighs
4 celery stalks with tops
1 mdm carrot sliced
1 small onion
2 sprigs parsley
1 tsp salt
1\8 tsp pepper
5 cups of water ( I add more water. I almost fill the pot, leaving room for dumplings )
2 1\2 cups bisquick
2\3 cup milk

**Place chicken, celery, carrot, onion, parsely, salt, pepper and water in pot or crockpot. Bring to boil and let simmer for 2 hours. ( If in a crockpot, put on low for 6-8 hours)
**Remove chicken and let cool
**Heat 1\2 cup of broth or so, more like 1 cup and add 1\2 of bisquick. Pour back into pot ( it thickens the soup up)
**Shredd chicken and add to soup
**Make the dumplings ( 2 cups of bisquick and 2\3 cup of milk. Mix until dough forms).
**Drop spoonfuls of dumplings into the broth. If you like big dumplings, then drop big spoonfuls of dumplings
**Cook 10 minutes uncovered, cook 10 minutes covered.
**Note: I make my chicken and dumplings more like a stew, that is why I add more water. Also to have lots of dumplings, I put in half of the dumpling dough and let it cook for a bit. I them gently stir the dumpling so they drop and add more dumplings.

Betty Crocker with a little altering from me

No comments: